• Old girl...

From Marc Lewis@1:396/45 to Janis Kracht on Fri Dec 4 16:04:37 2015
    Hello Janis.

I've probably mentioned to you that I have a cat at my old job location in Metairie, LA. I get to see her each time I visit down there...

The last couple of times I've visited I've noticed that she has lost a substantial amount of weight. She's now at 6.25lb, down from 10 or so lb. On the last visit I decided to take her to the vet I used to use there; took her in and sure enough, they still had records on her from over 10 years ago. Discovered first off that she's now 17 years 10 months old and has thyroid problems. They've prescribed some type of "pen" to put the drug inside her ears - "transdermal."

Do you or anyone else here have any experience with this type of med?

My other cat that lives with me is still fairly young, healthy and smart, although I think he's a bit puppy-like - - when running around outside he will come running when I whistle for him. :-) You've heard of "transgender," well,
    this one's "trans-species." <grin>

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    * Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Huntsville,AL-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)
  • From Janis Kracht@1:261/38 to Marc Lewis on Thu Dec 10 12:47:04 2015
    Hi Marc!

I've probably mentioned to you that I have a cat at my old job location in Metairie, LA. I get to see her each time I visit down there...

The last couple of times I've visited I've noticed that she has lost a substantial amount of weight. She's now at 6.25lb, down from 10 or so lb. On the last visit I decided to take her to the vet I used to use there; took her in and sure enough, they still had records on her from over 10 years ago.

That must have been a relief. Great that the doc kept the records. :)

Discovered first off that she's now 17 years 10 months old and has thyroid problems. They've prescribed some type of "pen" to put the drug inside her ears - "transdermal."

That's very interesting, I'd never heard of that before. I'd heard of animals with thyroid problems, but never this 'pen' you mention. And I wonder, why in the ear?

My other cat that lives with me is still fairly young, healthy and smart,
    although I think he's a bit puppy-like - - when running around outside he will >come running when I whistle for him. :-)

That is so neat :) It reminds me of one cat we had, a Maine Coon Cat, who chased q-tips if you threw them :) He was so funny to watch when he'd carry the q-tips around in his mouth after chasing after them :)

You've heard of "transgender," well
    this one's "trans-species." <grin>

hahaha He sounds like a great guy. Think your Christmas Tree will stay UP? :) :)

I was reading in the news yesterday that Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine here in Ithaca, New York, showed off a litter of 7 puppies
    born after In Vitro fertilization. IVF in Dogs had failed in other attempts so
    this was a first. Humans release mature eggs, but dogs don't. They release immature eggs instead of mature eggs needed for IVF so the embryos had to be frozen, then later and implanted in the mom dog at the right time. The hope being, ".. IVF technology in dogs could prove useful in everything from conserving endangered species to removing "deleterious traits from breeds," with research potentially applicable to 'models for human disease' as well."

http://news.yahoo.com/7-half-pound-mutts-become-first-test-tube-190347359.html#

Amazing stuff to me... and incredibly cute puppies :)

Take care,
    Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-2
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
  • From Marc Lewis@1:396/45 to Janis Kracht on Thu Dec 10 22:03:20 2015
    Hello Janis.

<On 10Dec2015 12:47 Janis Kracht (1:261/38) wrote a message to Marc Lewis regarding Old girl... >

The last couple of times I've visited I've noticed that she has lost a substantial amount of weight. She's now at 6.25lb, down from 10 or
    so lb. On the last visit I decided to take her to the vet I used to
    use there; took her in and sure enough, they still had records on her
    from over 10 years ago.

That must have been a relief. Great that the doc kept the records.
    :)

I was surprised indeed! Was also surprised that they had her birth date on file. We projected that she was fairly old; in fact one of the fellows at the old job said he thought she was about 17... He was dead-on.

Discovered first off that she's now 17 years 10 months old and has thyroid problems. They've prescribed some type of "pen" to put the drug inside her ears - "transdermal."

That's very interesting, I'd never heard of that before. I'd heard
    of animals with thyroid problems, but never this 'pen' you mention.
    And I wonder, why in the ear?

The ear is about the only place she can't lick and can't paw-clean.

My other cat that lives with me is still fairly young, healthy and smart,
    although I think he's a bit puppy-like - - when running around
    outside he will come running when I whistle for him. :-)

That is so neat :)

Yeah and he's just jumped into my lap while I'm trying to type this, looking all sleepy-eyed and purring his heart out. :)

It reminds me of one cat we had, a Maine Coon Cat, who chased
    q-tips if you threw them :) He was so funny to watch when he'd
    carry the q-tips around in his mouth after chasing after them :)

Neat!
    You've heard of "transgender," well this one's "trans-species."
    <grin>

hahaha He sounds like a great guy. Think your Christmas Tree will
    stay UP? :) :)

It's a miniature and up high... But that might still not stop him! :)

I was reading in the news yesterday that Cornell University's
    College of Veterinary Medicine here in Ithaca, New York, showed off
    a litter of 7 puppies born after In Vitro fertilization.
    {snip}

http://news.yahoo.com/7-half-pound-mutts-become-first-test-tube-190 347359.html#

Amazing stuff to me... and incredibly cute puppies :)

It is and I'm sure they are! I'm going to copy the URL over to my windoze machine and visit there.

Best regards,
    Marc

... Now and then someone innocent is sent to the legislature.
    --- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    * Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Huntsville,AL-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)