• Toby tales...

From Janis Kracht@1:261/38 to All on Thu Apr 2 23:45:28 2015
    This is day #4 for Toby after his surgery and day #1 home.

He's sleeping downstairs with my son so that he doesn't have to climb the stairs (he really didn't want to go up upstairs to my son's room after he returned home, and I can understand that :()

Last night I was able to 'fool' him with painkilers in american cheese. This morning I got the antibiotic and "appetite-increaser" in him (didn't make him hungry all day though), but after those two pills he refused his pain med.

I tried to force the issue but the two pills started disolving in my fingers -
    we tried in cheese, in hot dog meat, in a rigatoni, hamburger, in butter...all his favorites.. no go.. He'd hide it in his cheek and spit it across the room..
    geez how exhausting. I gave up.. he was happier.

I'm guessing his pain was of course at it's worst in the hospital the next day after his surgery. If dogs are like people, the 2nd day after surgery is when the pain REALLY kicks in. AAMOF the dog hosp. told me he'd been on IV pain killers.

So anyway, reading about tramadol (Not the first time I had to read up on it, my mom was on it before she died, it's a nasty drug) late tonight, I read that he really shouldn't stop it suddenly..

Also I figured he really needed some pain/irritation relief or he was going to harm the sutures with the incessant licking of the sutures he that he started tonight. He's supposed to get two of those tramadol tablets. At least I got one in him tonight with butter. He just kept spitting out the second. Really sad..

I was just wondering if anyone has had to deal with major surgery on a dog and pain relief.. what did your vet use, how long will it be till we're "back to normal" hehe.. I'm dreaming two weeks. Any tricks you know for tempting a non-eater to grab a glump of something with a pill inside...

He wasn't eating anything of consequence yesterday and today (poor boy is down to 58 1/2 lbs!) He looks like an abused dog fer god's sake :(

So tonight I pulled out the left over rigatoni. Now it could have been the hour
    tonight (the longer he goes, the more of the anesthesia gets out of him) he actually ate about 18 rigatoni (tossed with a minimum of meat sauce <vbg>). Not
    the stuff I would have wished he'd eat, but he ATE.

Then stopped again. Period.

argh..

Take care,
    Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-2
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)